SOYL newsletter August 20161. iSOYL4 brings new features to precision task management
A new version of iSOYL, the iPad app that enables growers to easily manage and control precision tasks, is now available from the App Store. New features and updates include:
- Task completion: When you finish a task the app asks for the quantity of fertiliser or seed applied. If a quantity is not entered the target application total will be used.
- Accessing completed jobs: If a task has been completed, it can now be undone to amend the applied amount or to restart the task using the edit options on the dashboard.
- Default unit of measure set against a profile: when setting up or editing a profile, there is now an option to set a default unit of measure (UOM) to t/ha, kg/ha or lt/ha. Multiple profiles can now be set with different default UOMs for each machine such as solid or liquid applicators. This can also be accessed via Settings > Profile Settings. The UOM can still be changed when finishing a task - this simply sets a default so you no longer have to change the UOM if working in anything other than t/ha.
- MySOYL map task list: The list will now collapse when a farm heading is pressed making it easier to navigate the file list.
- GPS signal indicator: The three bars that represent signal strength have been changed from red, orange and green, to all green. The tolerance has been adjusted to give a more accurate signal reading.
- Cloud shape file handing: Improved handling of non compatible shape files, presenting messages explaining why the file cannot be imported.
2. Talk to the precision experts at national events
Growers will be able to meet their local SOYL experts and see live product demonstrations at two upcoming national precision farming events.
Visit us at:
Tillage Live - Plot 12 and 105
Wednesday 14th September, Monks Kirby, Warwickshire
Precision Farming 2016 - Stand 60
Tuesday 18th October, County Showground, Lincoln Road, Winthorpe, Newark, Notts NG24 2NY
As well as being on hand to answer questions and discuss thoughts and ideas on all things precision farming, the SOYL team will be showcasing:
- The latest version of iSOYL, the award winning iPad app that streamlines the variable rate application process
- iSOYLscout, an extension to iSOYL that enables growers to accurately record in field observations and transfer them quickly and easily to the office for detailed assessment
- Topsoil Mapper, a cultivation system that continuously scans topsoil and directs the depth of the cultivator to optimise the operation. At Tillage Live, the Topsoil Mapper has been teamed up with a Plowmans 5 leg variable depth subsoiler to demonstrate real time variable depth cultivation.
3. Popular Winter Workshops return
SOYL has confirmed it will again be delivering a series of precision Winter Workshops this year.
These popular events see the SOYL team take to the road on a tour of UK venues, showcasing the very latest in precision techniques and advice.
Each of the twelve planned events will give up to 100 growers the opportunity to hear expert speakers, see precision product demonstrations and talk to the SOYL team over lunch.
The locations and dates of this year’s Workshops will be announced in the next few weeks.
Places will be limited so keep an eye on our events page and follow @SOYLprecision on Twitter to find your nearest event and reserve your place.
4. Meet Mark Frost
Mark Frost is a technical support assistant and works in SOYL's hardware support team.
“I joined SOYL's PK mapping team back in January 2016, before moving three months later to the hardware support team. At this time of year, this is an incredibly busy role as we help to find fast, effective solutions so that growers can proceed with harvest.
Most of my time is spent communicating directly with farmers, from general queries regarding hardware, such as whether kit will support variable rate application, to attempting to resolve communication issues between specific bits of equipment.
I also test future developments in SOYL software and hardware, maintain a high standard of equipment for SOYL samplers and provide CLAAS Agrocom Map support during harvest.
Before joining SOYL, I worked in SOYL's parent company, Frontier. This experience gave me a good insight into various aspects of the industry and how important it is to find quick and effective solutions for farmers and samplers.
Everyone at SOYL is exceptional at what they do and the team has a fountain of knowledge to provide the best possible support. I really enjoy working within precision farming as it's forever changing with new techniques and ideas. I'm excited to embrace the upcoming technologies and I'm proud to be working with the team that continues to develop new products to make for a better farming experience.”
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @SOYLprecision for regular updates on soils, nutrients, machinery and GPS.